Sunday, January 31, 2010

God's GPS

Last year I bought a GPS for my car. GPS stands for Global Positioning System. It was designed to help travelers locate and reach their destination. Since I am in charge of the outreach ministry for my local church, it comes in handy when I am looking for addresses. It is also helpful when I travel out of town.

Shortly after purchasing my GPS, I was invited to Detroit to preach and do a book signing. Before leaving home, I programmed the address to where I was going in Detroit into the system. The trip was going smoothly for the first few hours, but then I was directed to turn onto a road that I was not familiar with. I had driven to Detroit many times before, but I had never gone that way.

The farther I drove, the more uncomfortable I became. I called a friend of mine that drives cross-country for a bus company and told him my dilemma. He said although the highway that I was on would get me to Detroit, it was not the route that he would have taken.

I drove for about another hour when I spotted a gas station. I pulled in and asked the attendant how to get to Detroit. He told me that I was on the right road. I drove for a few more hours without seeing a road sign that mentioned Detroit or Michigan.

I was almost ready to turn around when I spotted a state trooper. I pulled over and told him that I was trying to get to Detroit but my GPS obviously had me going the wrong way. He said that I was almost there. He told me to just keep going. Before long, I was in Detroit. Not only that, I had reached my destination without going through the high traffic areas.

God has a GPS too. I call it God’s Positioning System. Before we were born, God programmed our destination into His GPS. Sometimes we get off course. Sometimes we don’t like the route that He has chosen for us. But God puts His people in positions that He wants us to be in so that we can get to where He wants us to be.
When you pray, ask God to make you sensitive to His GPS, and then follow His directions. If you are not sure about how God’s GPS works, read the instruction manual that He has provided. It is called, The Holy Bible.

- Rev. Burton Barr, Jr. (Author of "The Hoodlum Preacher" and "Amazing Grace: The Storm Is Passing Over")

1 comment:

Char Barr said...

I truly enjoy reading your weekly blogs. They are not only inspirational, but heartwarming as well. I especially like this week’s blog relative to the analogy of the world’s GPS and God’s GPS. Amazing! You are right on target in emphasizing the necessity of allowing God to position us.