Sunday, February 7, 2010

Be Thankful

I broke my foot a little over a week ago when I fell of off a loading dock. I was collecting donations for our food pantry and homeless ministry. When I went to the doctor, they put a cast on my foot that goes from my toes to my knee. Now I am confined to my house and the only way I can get around is by using crutches, a walker, or rolling around in an office chair.

I sat home yesterday having a pity party with myself. I started thinking about all of the things I could not do and the places I could not go. I was tired of those crutches. I was tired of that chair. I wanted to throw that walker off the back porch. I was getting depressed.

Then I came to myself. I broke my foot. So what. I should be thankful that I didn’t break my neck. I can’t get out of the house. So what. I should be thankful that I have a house. I can’t take my food downstairs and eat it in front of the big screen TV. So what. I should be thankful that I have food.

We have to stop complaining and feeling sorry for ourselves because of what we do not have and start thanking God for what we do have. There is always someone that is worse off than you.

When I was released from prison in 1986, I decided to go to church. But I didn’t have bus fare, so I had to walk. The church was about three miles away and it was extremely hot that day. While I was walking, I thought about my car that had been repossessed while I was in prison. I thought about all of the money that I used to have. I thought about how hot and sweaty I was getting. I was getting angry because I had to walk.

Then I heard someone coming up behind me. He was singing and whistling. When I turned around, I was shocked at what I saw. It was a man in a wheelchair with no legs. As he passes me, he smiled and said, "Beautiful day isn’t it?" Then he rolled along, singing and whistling.

I had two good legs and was complaining because I had to walk. There was a man that had no legs, but he was able to enjoy the beauty of life. All I am trying to say is be thankful for what you have.

- Rev. Burton Barr, Jr. Author of: THE HOODLUM PREACHER and AMAZING GRACE: The Storm Is Passing Over

No comments: