Sunday, January 17, 2010

"Happy Birthday Dr. King" by Rev. Burton Barr Jr. & KOBALT BOOKS

Today, we will celebrate the life of one of the greatest men that this world has ever known, Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King, Jr. To many, he was known as a dreamer. Some called him a dreamer because of one of his most famous speeches. Others say that he was a dreamer because of the kind of world that he envisioned.

A world where men and women of all races, creeds and colors were treated with dignity and respect. A world where people would not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character. A world where all people, regardless of their nationality, could achieve whatever goals they strived to obtain. That is the kind of world that Dr. King dreamed of.

When I was a child, my father took me to Soldier Field in Chicago to see Dr. King one Sunday afternoon. I remember sitting in the bleachers, hanging onto his every word as he spoke to the roaring crowd. But it was not until I saw what he and so many people of color had to go through in the south that I realized just how special this man really was.

I watched Dr. King being punched, spat upon and pelted with stones as he led peaceful marchers down southern streets. My heart wept as I read the letter that he wrote while he sat alone in a Birmingham jail cell. A segment of society did everything that they could to shatter the dream of Dr. King and an entire race of people.

On an April evening in 1968, an assassin killed the dreamer, but he could not kill the dream. It lives on in many of us. Happy birthday Dr. King. Thank you for giving us something to dream about.

- Rev. Burton Barr, Jr.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very touching reflection. Both you and King are inspiring men.