Sunday, February 14, 2010

How Bad Do You Want It?

Quitting is one of the easiest things in the world to do. I should know. I was a master of it. If universities gave degrees in quitting, I could have graduated summa cum laude. The problem is, I quit school.

School wasn’t the only thing that I quit. I left my first wife after one year of marriage. I quit preaching three years after being ordained. I was kicked out of the marines before my tour of duty was completed. During the first fifty years of my life, the only thing that I ever completed was a prison sentence. I would have quit that too if I could have.

There is a poem that my father always quoted when he saw I wasn’t doing my best. It was his philosophy of life. It says:
If a task is once begun
Never leave it till it’s done
Be the labor, great or small
Do it well or not at all


The reason that so many of us do not succeed is because we don’t want it bad enough. We don’t want that degree bad enough to put in the work that it takes to graduate. We don’t want to make the sports team bad enough to practice day in and day out. We don’t want to excel at our jobs bad enough to learn everything that we can about our chosen profession.

Unfortunately, mediocrity is not only thriving in the secular world. It is prevalent in many of our churches as well. Some of us are not interested in being the best Christians that we can be. We don’t go to Sunday school or Bible study. We don’t read our Bibles or pray. A little rain or the threat of snow will keep us from going to church.

When I was hooked on drugs, I was the best junkie that I could be. Nothing could keep me from getting the drugs that I craved. My drugs meant more to me than my family, my friends, or my freedom.

There was a snowstorm in Chicago one winter that was so bad that cars or buses could not move. So I walked three miles through almost two feet of snow to the dope house and then three miles back. That’s how bad I wanted to get high. If I was that committed to something that was killing me, shouldn’t I be even more committed to the one who gave me life?

Do you want to be the best Christian that you can possibly be? If so, how bad do you want it?

- Rev. Burton Barr Jr. (Author of "The Hoodlum Preacher" and "Amazing Grace: The Storm Is Passing Over")

To Sign Up for out email list, visit:
www.kobaltbooks.com

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Rev. Bar for this inspiring post. Each time I return to read one of your blog entries I walk away from the computer feeling energized about life, my journey with God and my family. Your sense of humor and encouraging words brighten my day. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us.

Unknown said...

I run into the office on Monday morning just to read your blogs. I must admit that this one hit me and I felt convicted. These posts are exactly what I need to make better Christian decissions for not just me but for my little ones.