Sunday, March 13, 2011

Lost In The House

My wife and I just purchased a house last week. Although it is nice and beautiful, it is also big and confusing. There are a lot of rooms, doors, twists and turns. I don’t know how many times I was going to the hall closet and ended up in the garage. Or I was going to the basement and ended up on the sun porch. One time, I just stopped in the middle of the kitchen and started turning in circles. My nephew, who was helping me with some things, started laughing and said, “What’s the matter? Are you lost?” When I said that I was, he said, “How can you get lost in the house?”

There are a lot of people who are faithful church members, but they are lost. Some of them sing in the choir. Some of them are ushers. Some of them are deacons. Some of them are even preachers. They are in the church house every Sunday, and they do their jobs well. But if the truth were told, they are lost in the house.

Contrary to popular belief, everyone that goes to church is not saved. Did you read the story of the prodigal son in the 15th chapter of Luke? His brother, who never left home, got mad when his brother repented and went back home. There are some church members that have the same attitude. They don’t want certain kinds of people in “their church.” Gang members, drug addicts, alcoholics, prostitutes, ex-offenders or anyone who is not like them are not welcome. But they don’t realize that those are the people the Jesus died for.

Most people that don’t attend church do not have a problem with God, the Bible, or the church. They have a problem with church members. The reason that some people don’t go to church is because of the way they were treated when they did go. You have not been hurt until church folks have hurt you. Let me tell you something else while I am on the subject. Some people don’t go to church because they see how people act that does go. They are in the church, but the church is not in them. In other words, they are in the Lord’s house, but they are lost in the house.

God loves you. No matter what you have done or what you have become, you are welcome in His house. But you don’t want to be lost in the house.


"He's Only A Prayer Away: 9 Examples Of Praying Until Your Breakthrough" Book in Stores Now!!!
http://www.amazon.com/Hes-Only-Prayer-Away-Breakthrough/dp/0982033036/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279928966&sr=1-7

1 comment:

Cedric M said...

Thank you for sharing these blogs. God is changing lives through you and the phenomenal Reverend Burton. I was truly Blessed by these words of encouragement. The passion for serving is shown in every message this humble man of God shares. I respect his wisdom, admire his service, and applaud his efforts to spread the "good" news. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful vessel with a thirsty soul like me. God Bless you and Reverend Burton.
Alanka DeShay